Discharge Information: Post Neck Surgery
Please read this document carefully as it contains important information that complements the
instructions given by your MEG ENT Specialist during your recent surgical admission.
- Pain Management:
- You should receive analgesics and instructions (e.g. Paracetamol, oxycodone) prior to your discharge from hospital.
- Use as directed.
- Oral Antibiotics may be prescribed on your discharge from Hospital
- You will be advised by your MEG ENT Specialist.
- Regular Medications:
- Do not recommence Aspirin, Nurofen, Plavix, Fish Oil, etc. for at least 2 weeks after surgery or as instructed by your MEG ENT Specialist.
- Keep the wound clean and dry.
- Try to protect the wound from water for the first 72 hours.
- You may clean the area around the wound with a clean towel soaked in warm water.
- If you have stitches or skin clips these will need to be removed and you will be instructed upon discharge as to when and where they can be removed.
- It is uncommon to have bleeding from the wound site after discharge from hospital.
- If you encounter any bleeding, welling or redness, with increasing pain and pressure from the wound, you should immediately contact your doctor or the hospital emergency department.
- Generally there are no post-operative dietary restrictions, though your MEG ENT specialist may suggest avoiding hot foods, or a softened diet if you have had an associated intra-oral surgery.
Return to Normal Activities:
- You will usually require 2 weeks leave from work for full recovery.
- First 72 hours:
- Avoid hot showers and saunas for 3 days
- Week 1-2 post op:
- Refrain from vigorous activity for 2 weeks to reduce the chance of bleeding.
Attend your nearest Emergency Department or Local GP Clinic if:
- You experience bleeding or sudden increase in bruising or pressure.
- You have increasing pain, and/or discharge.
- You have a fever or feel increasingly unwell.
On your Post-operative Appointment:
- Your MEG ENT Specialist will remove any non-dissolvable sutures at the first post-operative review, at 2-3 weeks after surgery.
We will confirm the time and date of your post-operative appointment soon. Do not hesitate to
contact us if you require any further information regarding these instructions.